Monday, February 15, 2010

Adjusting My Bad Attitude, A Little Bit At A Time

So, K.C. and I just arrived in Memphis at the site of what will be the International Folk Alliance Conference, starting Wednesday. We are here early. Folk Alliance is an interesting beast...I am not really a folk music guy at heart (solidly a rock guy, push comes to shove), so my bad attitude towards things I'm not ultimately committed to gets tested at Folk Alliance events sometimes.

However, I already have had some really good attitude-adjusting stuff happen today, so we can hope that there's more to come. My friend Kyle, who rode out here with us, played me some stuff from his iPod that really kicked my ass, and totally threw a wrench in my "I'm cynical about your uber-cool indie music that you like so much, even though I secretly, desperately want to be able to love and appreciate it" thing that I hold on to way too tight most of the time. For instance...

I heard Deerhoof for the first time, and it was awesome. I heard a band called the Books, specifically a piece called "Enjoy Your Worries, You May Never Have Them Again" that totally blew my mind. It was the kind of experimental music I wish I could hear more of. Finally, he played me a track by Elbow called "Grounds For Divorce" that couldn't be beat.

Exciting stuff. Gives me faith that I am not too old/too crotchety/too whatever to still find and enjoy new, amazing music. I hope to find some more of it this weekend, but I may have to adjust a bit further than I feel ready to, attitude-wise, to not feel irritated by the lack of rock by week's end...

1 comment:

Aimee Greeblemonkey said...

I went through a phase where I couldn't find anything new and then it exploded again for me in the last 5 years.